The Wheal Family

In tribute to the small but thriving family of Wheals who entered the U.S. through Ellis Island a hundred years ago, this blog has been created to display a collection of photos and memories of my past. NOTE: Please click on the Archives links to view more entries.

My Photo
Name:

Author of "Around Hughesville", "Around Montgomery" and "Around Montgomery Borough 1940-1990" - local history books from Arcadia Publishing.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Grandpa Wheal ~ the artist

I don't remember Grandpa Wheal painting. He probably painted when his grandchildren were not around ~ but I don't even remember seeing his easel or even knowing that he was creating these family heirlooms until long after he had died. I was given about a half dozen of his paintings after I had left home, after I had gotten married. One thing I wish he had done, though, was sign his paintings. He did not sign any of them.
On the back of this one, however, he did write his name and date and made a note about the subject of the painting. It is the ruins of Corfe Castle near London, with the Greyhound Inn and Pub in the foreground. Below the painting is a photo of the same scene as it looks today. Grandpa probably painted from a similar photo - over 40 years ago.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home