The Wheal Family

In tribute to the small but thriving family of Wheals who entered the U.S. through Ellis Island a hundred years ago, this blog has been created to display a collection of photos and memories of my past. NOTE: Please click on the Archives links to view more entries.

My Photo
Name:

Author of "Around Hughesville", "Around Montgomery" and "Around Montgomery Borough 1940-1990" - local history books from Arcadia Publishing.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Scenes close to home

I always called this one "Cows on a Hill." Since my grandparents were from London, came to the states and lived in Perth Amboy, NJ, they really were "city slickers," as my dad wrote. The Wheal family moved around 1930 to the rural farmlands of central PA where they attempted to farm & raise chickens, they had a cow which supplied them with milk & butter. When they moved to another farm (near where I grew up in Penn Township), the Wheals had a small herd of cows - and I imagine that was my grandfather's inspiration for this scene: No note was made about the location of this scene...but I am sure it was one close to the heart of my grandpa.
Speaking of close to the heart - this is my grandmother. On the back of this painting, Grandpa had written: "Taken from a photograph of Caroline Orme in 1906 when she was 21. Married James D. Wheal November 1909."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home